Happy 4th of July!
- The estimated population of the colonies on July 4, 1776 was 2.5 million (Estimated population today is 316.2 million)
- Congress declared the 4th of July as a federal holiday on June 28, 1870
- The reason for red, white, and blue: Red stands for hardiness and valor; white symbolizes purity and innocence; blue represents vigilance, perserverance, and justice
- The value of fireworks imports in 2012 was $227.3 million
- The value of U.S. flag imports in 2012 was $3.8 million
- 50 flags are flown 24 hours a day at the Washington Monument
- Only John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, with all others signing later
We hope that you enjoyed these stats and that everyone has a very happy and safe 4th of July!